Monday, June 1, 2009

TPCK vs. TPK

TPCK stands for Technological Pedagogical and Content Knowledge.  This means that the teacher has sufficient content knowledge (the facts and concepts of her/his subject), pedagogical knowledge (the know how to teach, such as guided inquiry) and technological knowledge (they know how to use technology and are able to use many "tools").  When all three of these "knowledges" are combined, the teacher can effectively teach the students.  There are two types of TPCK, content-domain oriented tools and pedagogy-oriented tools.  The first uses technology for a content purpose, to do something that would not be available without the technology.  The second uses technology for a pedagogy reason, to engage the students or to help different learners.  One example for my Physics class could be a lab based rocket project.  The students would build rockets, and on the day of the launch, their launches would be video recorded.  This footage could then be used to do advanced physics, place them into the role of discoverer and would not be possible without the video footage and the program Logger Pro.

TPK stands for Technological Pedagogical Knowledge.  This means that the teacher knows how to use technology to engage the students, using it for pedagogical reasons.  This can be for classroom management, to engage students, or how to present information in the best way.  In my class, I could use this technique as I use technology to monitor my students progress.  By having homework or other assessments online, I can then take the data from these assessments and better my teaching, by looking at those questions that were missed most, I can narrow my focus on what information I need to review or teach better (different method) so that I can reach all my students.  

1 comment:

 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones!